Who knew mushrooms could be this beautiful?
This one propped up right next to our road in the property on a steep climb. I saw it while driving down yesterday. After parking the car, went back uphill to check it out.
Apparently, (learnt from Sharmila who saw it is some discussion posts in our local forum) these are poisonous and pets should not be allowed to ingest them. That got me doing some reading up on how to visibly diagnose which mushroom is poisonous and which one is not.
Turns out there is no way of doing it. You have to know your mushrooms. However, I did learn a few things about mushrooms on the way.
Do you know what you call a person who actually knows their mushrooms? A mycologist! Turns out, that has Greek origins meaning “study of fungus”.
A mushroom is actually the reproductive organ of a fungus.
Also, being a fungus, evolution wise, a mushroom is closer to animals than plants!