Inaugurated my new smoking gun. I am still learning the fine art of smoking drinks – so do not hold me to high standards. Used mesquite wood to smoke the Old Fashioned (used Maker’s Mark).
Next time I will do the smoking in a more open space. My nose is so filled with the rich aroma of the smoke that came our initially that I could hardly smell it in the Old Fashioned!! Plus there is the advantage that I would not kick in the fire alarms 🙂
A good adventure though and very excited about the new smoking gun. (Part of it has to be the fact that I love the name 🙂 )
Fairly standard production process. Made from espadin agaves that are allowed to grow till 7-9 years (when the sugar content peaks). The chopped up pinas are cooked for 3 days in a pit lined with lava rocks. It is then milled by horse drawn stone tahona to let the yeast and other micro-organisms get to the sugar. Subsequently, it is fermented by mixing in deep well water and letting it sit in open air wooden oak vats for 3 days. As a final step, the two rounds of distillation is done in a copper alembic still.
The mezcal itself is fairly run of the mill. Seems to have an edge at the end in the length. However, Casamigos is still my favorite.
How many of these statements are true?
1. You can see the Great Wall of China from the moon on clear days (my sixth grade teacher had taught us this)
2. Bulls get excited by red color (which explains why they charge the matador waving the red flag)
3. Napolean was rather diminutive (by French standards those days anyways)
4. Only the royals among the Vikings wore the horned helmets
5. Einstein was weak in math (and failed once) as a school kid.
6. We have 5 senses (sight, sound, taste, touch and smell). (I was taught this pretty early in life).
7. Speaking of senses, the tongue has different parts where we taste different tastes (sweet, salt etc etc)
8. Continuing with our body, artistic folks are more active on the right side of the brain and vice versa for the science and math oriented ones.
9. There is no such thing as a “scientific proof”
10. A steep learning curve implies you will have great difficulty learning it.
If you have Googled, which ones surprised you?